Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Prayer shawls warm the body and the soul

St. Luke's has a prayer shawl group that meets on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 10 a.m. in the Kramer Room. Currently, this group has 3-5 active participants who quietly and prayerfully create shawls that are delivered to persons in need of spiritual comfort. Anyone is welcome to attend, even those just learning (or desiring to learn) to knit or crochet. Sickness, grief, difficult life changes: these occasions are times when we especially want to be reminded of the Holy Spirit wrapped around us. A prayer shawl is a tangible reminder of that love. The knitters do their work with conversations and prayers about the needs of the community on their lips and in their hearts. They also just enjoy being together in fellowship. Once completed, the shawls are delivered by clergy and pastoral care team members to persons in need.

 
I have received two prayer shawls at different times of need in my own life. I still use them in my prayer practice. On chilly mornings I especially have a sense of the warmth of God's love when I wrap myself in the shawl. I remember the hands of strangers who give of their time and gifts so that others may know the gift of God's grace.  -Joe Hensley

No comments: